We nabbed one of Chef Louis top-scoring recipes for crowd pleasing bites for you to try out at your next patio party: the Firecracker Prawn served with a zesty-sweet chili lime dip!
These bite sized savory canapé gems are a fan favourite at Louis Gervais Catering (ordered on the regular by all our valued clients). We think we know why: who doesn’t want to bite into a plump and juicy jumbo prawn wrapped in wonton that has been flash fried to a perfect crisp?
Served up alongside a healthy does of sweet heat thanks to a zesty Sweet Chili Lime Dipping Sauce, your taste buds will be seriously dancing (just like Chef Louis at the end of an epic catering event).
And we bet you won’t be able to stop at just one!
Ingredients (for Firecracker Prawns)
36 jumbo prawns, shelled, deveined and de-tailed
36 wonton wrappers
3 cups canola/ vegetable oil for frying
- De-vein, de-tail, and shell 36 prawns (try for local BC prawns when available)
- Set out 36 Wonton wrappers and preheat oil to approx. 370 degrees in a small deep pot.
- Place each prawn in the center of wrapper and fold ensuring the tail stays outside of the wrapper (twist and pinch at top). Gently place each wrapped prawn in heated oil and cook until golden brown.
- Remove and drain oil on paper towel, let cool.
- When ready to serve, simply preheat oven to 350 degrees and warm Firecracker Prawns for about 7-8 minutes and serve alongside Sweet Chili Lime Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
Ingredients (Sweet Chili Lime Dipping Sauce)
1 tsp Sambal
1 fresh lime juice and zest
2 tsp sweet chili sauce
¼ cup water
1 scallion thinly sliced
2 sprigs of chopped cilantro
- In small bowl combine sambal, sweet chili sauce and water – whisk together
- Slice scallion until finely chopped, do the same with cilantro (reserve a bit, if you wish for garnish)
- Add fresh lime juice and zest to bowl of blended ingredients
- Add scallion and cilantro, whisk together
- Serve as a dip
Watch for more delicious (and easy) feature recipes here on our blog throughout the summer.
And be sure to connect with us at Louis Gervais Fine Foods Catering the next time you have an event, special occasion, party or company gathering to celebrate! Chef Louis Gervais and his team are here to assist.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.